Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Job.

Blog Lovers,

It's official. Your favorite lazy blogger has a summer job. Yesterday, I clocked a nine hour day- 9:30 to 6. It's at a daycare near my house- location undisclosed. I watch 4-6 year olds and 12-18 month olds.
I love it.



I have a thing for childcare. I work at a childrens shelter on Monday and Thursdays in the evenings, and I babysit a lot. Some people like working with computers, others like fashion, there's design, and so much more. I like working with kids. Correction, I love it. I'm going to be a social worker or a teacher or something like that as soon as I can.
ANYWAY. Let me outline a typical day and then tell some stories about the hilarious kids I work with.
8:45- Wake up, put on work shirt. Eat breakfast, tame curls.
9:20- Walk to work.
9:30- Go up to Pre-K class room, get kids ready for the days activity. So far we've gone to a mueseum, pool, park, and movie. Basically make sure they all have money and bathing suits. Settle them down, and distract them/read them a story/have a dance party. Do favors for anyone who needs them.
9:45- Load kids in buses, buckle them in, etc.
10:00-12:15- FIELD TRIIIIP!!!
12:30- Lunch at the center- they supply breakfast, lunch, and snacks- some of the kids there are low income.
1- read them a story.
2:00- activities...i.e blocks or pretend games.
2:30- Go down to the "wobblers" classroom. These are kids from a year old to a year and a half. I watch them until 6, which is when I go home.
So the first story I have is with J, a 6 year old girl.
Me: J, what's your favorite song?
J: It'th about bumblebeeth.
Me: Sing it, kiddo!
J: Beeth in the trap, bee-beeth in the trap!
Me: ....
Smh at kids these days...that was a Nicki Minaj explicit song. I was expecting the Itsy Bitsy Spider or something.
J's really funny, though. We're in the van that transports kids. I'm in the front seat, checking off kids on a list.
J: MISS STELLA! MISS STELLA!
Me: Yes?
J: Did you know I'm just a little bit country?
Me: BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! (J is not. at. all. country. She has a ton of attitude and sass and is known for saying to her peers, EX-CAH-YOUSE ME LADY, I WAS TALKING!!!)
J: Heller. Fahn wither we havin. (Hello, fine weather we are having.)
Me and the other "teacher" in the front seat could not stop laughing. Like I said, J is a little sass-monster who wears beads and flashy jewelry and neon clothes and is anything but southern. And besides. Heller? Is that country?
Kids are so funny. Like I said, I'm 13. Reactions:
F: WOW. THIRTEEN. THAT'TH OLD. ARE YOU A TEENAGER?
H: CAN YOU DRIVE YET?
M: *sees me holding a wobbler* is that your daughter?
I love how clueless they are.
I'm helping a wobbler named J learn how to walk. He's something like 14 months with no teeth, and the only thing I've heard him say is "mama". Question for the readers...when did you or your child start walking?
Anyway. I pull J up by his hands, position him in front of me, and support him while he wobbles and jerks his way across the playground and laughs and smiles. He's a fighter, I'll give him that. When he's tired he sits down exactly where he is. As soon as I let go of his hands and clap for him he raises up his arms to practice walking again. By the end of the summer, I'll have him walking. Right now, the way he gets around is a commando army crawl.
I'm walking him across the playground with a bunch of two year olds following me in wonder of "the big kid". As soon as he plops his butt down, a little red head girl comes up to me and puts her little hands in mine. She then starts walking exactly like how I was walking J. She knew how to walk perfectly fine, though. It just made me laugh...I've never been so popular.
That's all for now!
xoxo,

Stellar Sweetheart

No comments:

Post a Comment