Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Dance Post

Holla!

First post of 2013? I think yes. I'm a little lazy late. So here's the update.
As of January 4th, 2013, I started a hip hop class. As of January 20th, I'm 14.
Last night, my school had one of those awkward middle school dances. I figured I should do like a Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide thing, and talk about my dance class.



So the first thing everyone should know is that I'm still 4 foot 11. I'm really, really short compared to everyone I know. The second thing is that before dance class, I had no rhythm. When I walked into the dance studio for the first time, the first thing that hit me was the music. Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj. I think we all know what song I'm referencing. I was like "Oh my GOD" because I don't like whiny music. I waited and saw this girl I know walk in, so I started talking to her. She's REALLY good, and she had been there for the past year and she loved it so I got more optimistic. Finally, the dance instructor called us onto the floor, and the walls were entirely mirrors. Another uh oh. She turned on some mainstream radio song and had us warm up. We had to do shoulder rolls and step hop slides and I was just like "wut". I ended up loving my first day. The second day, we did "Diamonds" by Rihanna and I ended up going home and asking to quit- I'm motivated, right? All the other girls had been doing this for years or months or longer and I felt clumsy and awkward. It took a couple times for me to really start liking it, but now I love it after like a month and a half. They even posted a video of my class doing "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore, my favorite artist. More on how he's my idol and I love him forever later. I'm in the back of the video, but I'm still in it- whoo!
Now. Survival Guide to school dances.
1. When you walk in, do it like 15-30 minutes late. Then scope out anyone who looks good dancing. Start doing EXACTLY what they're doing. In my case, it was this girl in my class who I don't really know all that well, but is really nice. She has these lovely little dreads and she's gorgeous- and she knows how to dance. This nice girl- lets call her Dancer- was just chillin, dancing in her group of friends. I edged my way into my group of friends, and kept an eye on her. I think it worked out pretty well.
2. Being on the dance floor means someone is always watching you. It might be a shy wallflower or a popular guy. So DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID. I'm always doing stupid stuff so this one is particularly hard to follow. The best thing to do is to find your friends and make a little circle- that way, you're not dancing by yourself.
3. Don't try any dance moves that aren't appropriate to the song. If someone does that thing where you grab your head and your leg and just jump, it's kind of weird. If all your friends are doing it, it's mildly better. It's better to avoid awkward dancing at all times.
4. One of the main rules I try to keep is to have a friend with you at all times. Need fresh air? Grab a friend. Potty break? There's always a group of girls in the bathroom gossiping, you're going to need someone so you won't be awkward around them. Navigating the dance floor? BRING A FRIEND. Leaning against the wall looking at the dance floor looks bad. I know from being that person, and seeing that person.
5. If a slow song comes on and you have no one to dance with, JUDGE! Instead of feeling sad that you have no slow dance, JUDGE THE COUPLES DANCING! It's so much fun! I know, it's morally/ ethically wrong or whatever. But has anyone else noticed that the short guy and the tall girl always get together?

SO. That's about it for now. I have another post coming out in the next week. And today's Saturday.

Laterz yallz

No comments:

Post a Comment