Saturday, April 7, 2012

Hippy Campers

It's late- I don't know what time, but I think it should be a new day soon. I'm riding on a concrete road built in the middle of a forest. It's a state park, so it's part civilized part wilderness. Pine infiltrates my nose, and cool air swishes under my t-shirt, aerating my back. The moon up in the sky is bright, two slivers away from being full. The bike below me cracks a stick, and I turn behind me to my friend Gami steering. I'm riding on the handlebars of the bike, old-school style.
The drunken people of the park stare as we ride past- unsafe! bizarre hippie children! but I don't care. I sing softly to Gami, our song together. 
"Crush a bit, lil bit, roll it up, take a hit..."
He joins in, raising his voice to the park and to those riding beside us. 
Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi.
I love this time of a night. 
I love being young, wild and free.
He grinds the bike to a halt by an empty field. 
The grass is tall and soft. 
All of the kids of the park that night lie next to each other and stare at the moon, which seems to be emanating a rainbow. 
Murmurs pass through the air, cameras take pictures.
We enjoy the night as it washes over us.
I just went camping in Ocala. Silver Springs State Park.
I'd highly reccomend it.
Remember Hippie Daddy?
Reunion time with his friends!
We spent the week in a cabin, each night an adventure.
We weren't very closely monitered, so we went wherever our bikes would take us. In this case, Gami, age 16, forgot his bike and had me ride handlebars wherever we went.
I love Gami.
That was just one night.
Another night, me and Red and Blue (age 14) took a trip to a local Publix while the adults restocked alcohol.
They popped me in a little kid cart, told me that I was 6 years old, and my name was Patricia.
We skidded around the store, grabbing cookies and knocking over displays.
Love the antics, right?
Another night, we hung out at the local playground until the park ranger yelled at us.
We sang at the top of our lungs, ran around free, and invented crazy games.
Duck, duck, duck, duck, T-BAG!
That was a fun one. Figure it out.
The days might have been even better. This particular excerpt REALLY shows my hippie roots.
I'm in an old VW van. The windows are manually rolled down, and the seat is pulled into a diagonal/horizontal position. I am not wearing a seatbelt, and neither is Reggie, sitting next to me. 
The sunlight warms my bikini clad body, but the breeze through the windows keeps me from being too hot. 
Reg sets his ipod between us on the seat, and I shift to my back.
The first chords of "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley stops playing.
I instantly relax. Even when I was a little baby, my mother would play reggae to calm me down. To this day, it chills me out.
"Don't chu worreh, bout a thang, cuz every little thing, gonna be all right"
I hum along as my eyelids drift shut and my body relaxes.
In the front seat, my mom and Reggie's mom are talking happily, and driving us to a swimming hole.
One Love comes on.
I smile, and relax, feeling the sunlight, the breeze, and the complete, utter calm of the moment.
I love being a hippy child. 
And that, in a nutshell, was my spring break.
XOXO and deuces,

Stella Sweetie

No comments:

Post a Comment