Saturday, May 5, 2012

Beauty Standards

Stello's and Stella's,

This post is a time when I'm going to be serious. I'm not usually serious, but this is important.
Society is fucked up.


Ever since I was a little girl*, I watched TV, saw ads, played with dolls.
TV told me that blond was beautiful, skinny was super, and straight hair was the best.
Sure, there were the people on tv with SUPER curly hair. However, it had been gelled, slicked, sprayed, and teased into standard curly girl hair, like the one below. 
Gorgeous. Each curl is perfectly curled, each spiral exactly the same width,  and the minimal frizz. I can count about ten strands. Ha. That's not real.

Look at the one right next to her cheek. Is it not a beautiful, shiny, perfect curl?
In hair commercials- Suave, Herbal Essences, Pantene- what type of hair does the hair model in the commercial have?
Straight hair. 
Isn't she beautiful? Isn't her hair like silk?

They swish it, they stroke it, they fluff it- is there anything straight hair CAN'T do?
I was born and raised into a world where people don't really WANT curly hair- straight is everything. 
I was fine until fifth grade- I got waves.
With sixth grade came kinks and frizzier waves. 
In seventh grade, I have full blown ringlets-turned-into-extreme-waves.
I hated them.
They were ugly.
All the pretty girls had straight hair..I didn't. I wasn't pretty. 
Do you know those commercials that promise straight, silky, luxurious, manageable hair?
What do they start out with?
A frantic woman pulling out her frizzed, curly hair** and begging for a solution.
I was that. Exactly. At age 13.
I bought the products.
Moroccan oil, liquid silk, you name it, it went into my hair. 
It never worked.
My hair stayed curly.
I was given the hundred dollar straightener.
I used it every day, as soon as I stepped out of the shower I blow dried my hair to minimize the time it was curly so maybe it would forget how to be curly in the time it took from blow drying it straight to straightening it. 
Lately, I've been forgetting to do it.
My hair's fried.
I have burns and scabs all over my head.
I couldn't tell you if I tried, but something happened.
When I started wearing my hair down naturally.
I started with no confidence. No one made fun of me.
Yesterday, I pulled my confidence into a knot and took a picture of myself.
I had my eyes wide open and a bambi*** look on. 
My hair was at its frizziest, each side was as frizzy as about half of my head. 
It was curly, and I braided my bangs and pulled them to the side. Side part. 
Then I posted it on facebook with the caption "Curls are beautiful. I'm glad I know that now."
It got the most likes I've ever gotten on a picture. 
A girl from camp that I'd forgotten about commented.
A boy who I haven't talked to in ages liked it, starting a conversation.
It was amazing.
It gave me the confidence to wear my hair as is and love it.
Today, for the first time- I curled it.
So to everyone out there who has curly hair and hates it-
Curly hair is beautiful.
Love your kinks for who they are.

xoxo and curls,
Stellar "Curly" Sweetheart

*I had really straight hair when I was little. Well..sort of. I had one perfect curl tucked behind my ear. But the rest was pretty straight. And fine. 
**AGAIN WITH THE CURLY HAIR IS UGLY, YOU NEED TO FIX IT SHIT ON COMMERCIALS!!!
*** I have ENORMOUS green bambi eyes with thick black lashes. I don't really sleep enough, but I sleep JUST enough so that the under eye circles seem to accent my eyes. They're my best feature. LOL, I'm not very vain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment