Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Day We Were Princesses.

Ladies and Gentleman...

I absolutely love my Spanish period. I've known spanish since I was little- my grandmother speaks Spanglish, Yiddish, and just a little Turkish. Growing up around her, I became pretty able to understand and speak a little bit of everything. Entering my new school, I realized there were some pretty big gaps in my Spanish education, so I'm retaking my Spanish. It's really easy for me- I started the Divergent series (and finished it!) wrote a story on notecards, and drew a bunch of stuff since September, all in this class. The teacher is really chill, so that makes it easier. Now, I can tell you guys some of the crazy stuff that's been happening.




At my school, it's spirit week. The first day was "When I Grow Up Day". We were supposed to dress up as what we want to be when we grow up. I want to be a social worker- and that's kind of a hard costume. Instead, I collaborated with my friends Feather and Loco to be princesses. I was chosen to be Ariel, from the Little Mermaid. In case you haven't seen it, below is a picture of her.


A part of your....wooooorld. 
And here's my representation.
Yup. That's sprayed red hair, a tutu, and an ariel shirt.

And since this picture didn't show it, I was wearing bright green skinny jeans that Feather loaned me. Here are those. Ignore what's happening in the picture- I like to kick my friends. 
Oh. And sparkly sneakers.
So anyway, the prep had to start last week. As Maniac Mama announced she was leaving town to spend a weekend in the mountains with her goddesses (that's what her friends call themselves), Hippy Daddy announced he'd be spending the weekend with us. I had already asked Feather if I could borrow her hipster Ariel costume, and she said yes. Maniac Mama, before leaving town, agreed to let me temporarily dye my hair red. She expected me to take care of it- something only she's done in the past.
Hippy Daddy was opposed to the idea. "You want to grow up to be a princess who has to be rescued?!?" He lectured.
"No, Daddy, it's a joke."
"So you're throwing a middle finger to the school? I thought they were teaching you to be confident young ladies!"
"Daddy, it's not what we really want to be-"
"You guys are being hypnotized by common culture. I say you be something real."
I ended up walking out. He didn't get it. I brought Feather's pants and shirt home, and asked HD to take me to CVS for temporary hair dye. We argued for a while, but I convinced him to go. Of course, the dye wasn't there- all they had was red gel and permanent red dye. The next day, I called up a store in my city that's a beauty supply- they had loads of temporary red dye at a reasonable price. Hippy Daddy reluctantly drove me, and I bought two tubes of the dye. He thought this was ridiculous- why buy two tubes? But I explained that his lack of hair made him not understand. I was planning to do a tutorial on how to dye your hair, but let me just tell you that the endeavor was unsuccessful. I still have the pictures- I'll post them below, but I'll also post the end result. To make a long story short, I managed to dye most of my body along with my hair. While squatting in the bath tub, removing the hair dye, I sneezed very powerfully- effectively splattering the (once) white tub with red, everywhere. I had handprints on my stomach, "blood" spilling from my neck to my ribs, and big red spots on my face. Lover Boy (who had been sick all week and was on a lot of cough syrup, and subsequently drowsy and disoriented) walked in and mumbled "what the fuck?" grabbed his deodorant and toothbrush, and lumbered off to bed. I giggled, and wiped off enough of the dye to go grab Hippy Daddy. His first reaction to the scene was:
"UHMYGOD. OHMYGOD. UHMYGOD. OHMYGOD. YOUR MOTHER IS GOING TO KILL ME. UHMYGOD. SHE'S GOING TO COME BACK AND KILL US BOTH. OHMYGOD." I realized that getting the white tub stained red was probably a bigger deal than painting my room, and got to work. After about an hour of hard scrubbing and cursing my stupid brain, I managed to clean up 95% of the mess- the other 5% was stubborn and staying. The dye, however, only showed up in little parts of my hair- and even then, as a deep reddish auburn. Two bottles of hair dye, a couple hours of cleaning, and a whole stained body produced only a slight reddish tinge. I was pissed off, needless to say. 

The next morning, HD took me and LB to breakfast er, lunch. LB and I woke up around 11. After, I convinced Hippy to go to Party City and get me a can of red hair spray. I swear to God, if this didn't work then nothing would. Luckily, it did, and we came home with the spray. This was Sunday, aka yesterday.
Today, I rolled out of bed and pulled on Feather's pants. Feather is probably about 3/4 of my size- she's really tiny, and adorable, and cool. However, her pants were a good 3 sizes below my regular size. With a little elastic and safety pins, I was able to painfully stretch the pants on. However, I had a teenage boy sized sag as the pants didn't want to be pulled over my enormous ass. To fix the problem, I used the solution I always use for everything- wear a tutu! So I wore a tutu, despite the fact that Ariel doesn't wear a tutu. To top it off, I slipped on a pair of silver sequin converse I've had for forever. I cocooned myself in an old towel, and tried not to breathe as Maniac Mama (who had gotten back from the mountains and hadn't even noticed the mess) sprayed red dye on my hair. After about thirty seconds, I found I had to breathe. As I inhaled, I couldn't help but feel like I was suffocating- the air was full of red dye. I tried to breathe shallowly, but it was no use- I ended up ingesting more red hairspray then got in my hair. However, a nice amount got in my hair. As Hippy Mama finished up, I breathed in fresh air and choked. When I coughed (I shit you not) a puff of red came out of my mouth. I looked like a fucking dragon. For the rest of the day, I blew my nose often (and the tissue became smothered in red dye) and once cleaned out my ears (the q-tips came out with red dye on them) and generally felt sick. I really hope it doesn't have any permanent effects, or I'm done for!
Getting to school was really fun- everyone freaked out over my red hair, and my friends were dressed as princesses too. Here's a picture.
Right to left: Feather (as Snow White), me, and San (as Mrs. Dicaprio)



So...yeah. That's the day we were princesses. I wish I could show you guys more pictures, I really do. I just can't blur out all the faces, you know? Thank you so much for reading- leave me a comment! What do you want to be when you grow up?
Tell all your friends about this blog, I want to grow grow grow!
xoxo, 
Stellar Sweetheart


3 comments:

  1. So cool! I wish my school did cool things like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon it's only cool for this week, thanks though! The rest of the time we have uniform and dress code :/

      Delete
  2. At my school I have to wear a uniform too, we usally get to wear normal maybe once a month

    ReplyDelete